Meeting Minutes – Osage City Chamber of Commerce – November 17, 2015
Flint Hills Beverage Hospitality Conference Room
In Attendance: Ann Lusk, Lusk Properties; Dave Azwell, Kiwanis Club; Tara Azwell, Osage City Area Arts Council; Dee Robert, retired; Wayne White, Osage County News; Jodi Stark, State Farm; Robyn Williams, Edward Jones Investments; Joe Hummerickhouse, H&H Appraisals; Thelma Hummerickhouse, H&H Appraisals; Jeremy Gaston, Osage County Herald Chronicle; Jan Ogleby, Osage County Herald Chronicle; Jeanette Stromgren, Osage City Public Library ; Jennifer Hudson, Osage Nursing Center; Kenna Burns, ECKAN; Barb Thompson, Artfully Quilted; Nancy Durbin, Osage County Economic Development; Rod Willis, Osage City- City Manager; Corey Linton, Osage City- Parks & Recreation; Jodi Smith, Vintage Park; Jennifer Tillman, J’Adore Salon & Spa;
Officers/Director present: Chandra Dunbar, Acting President; Cindy Wymore, Secretary; Mike Telhorst, Treasurer; Jeannette Swarts, Executive Director.
Lunch by Jerry’s Thriftway. Lunches are ordered from food businesses who are Chamber Members.
Meeting opened at 12:05 p.m. by Chandra Dunbar.
A motion was made by Jodi Stark and seconded by Mike Telhorst to approve the October meeting minutes. Motion passed unanimously. (It was noted that the minutes will be available soon online on the Chamber website www.osagecitychamber.com.)
A motion was made by Cindy Wymore and seconded by Jan Ogleby to approve the Treasurers Report. Motion passed unanimously.
Chandra updated the members on the Christmas Opener:
- All the flyers have been printed and are now being distributed. Just a reminder to nominate your “hometown hero” via the chamber website or online at http://tinyurl.com/occhometownhero. You may also use a paper nomination form with the following businesses: Ramblin Rose, Artfully Quilted by Barb, Harmon Dental, and the Osage City Public Library.
- A full schedule of events will be in the local paper this week. We also have Business “coupons” coming out that can be used throughout the holiday season.
- Jodi Stark mentioned she is putting together a goodie bag for the 5K Event. If you have any items you would like to donate, please contact Jodi on 528-5141.
- RCIL, in cooperation with Schroeder Drugs, will be raffling off a “power lift” chair which retails for over $800.00 dollars.
- Ann Lusk mentioned that the “Friends of the Library” need more people to participate in the Table setting & Christmas Collection Event which will be displayed at the Senior Center . If you are interested, please contact Ann on 528-4220.
Jeannette Swarts announced that the Chamber of Commerce Banquet will be held on January 9th between 6 – 8p.m. at the Santa Fe Depot. It will be more of an “after hours” mixer with hors d’oeuvres and drinks provided. We hope to encourage existing members to invite potential new members as this will kick off our membership drive for the upcoming year. Current members can pay their yearly dues at that time which will remain the same for 2016. We will be offering a “first-time” member incentive as well. More information will be provided at the December meeting.
Chandra stated that Casey Mussatto and Joe Hummerickhouse will remain on the Nominating Committee. While the current committee chairs have expressed an interest in staying on for 2016, we will need volunteers to help along the way. Some of the existing committees are: Website, Concession, Fair Parade, Christmas on Market, Kansas Sampler, Beerfest, and Garage Sales. Please consider helping with one of these events next year.
Under Member Announcements:
- Ribbon Cuttings for Grandma’s Attic (14 Market ) and J’Adore Salon & Spa (631 Market) are scheduled following the meeting. Jennifer Tillman said that her salon will be open for business starting tomorrow November 18th. Jennifer will be providing hair styling, manicures/pedicures, and massages.
- Jan Ogleby recommended that we update our membership list. Mike Telhorst said he has that available now.
- Jodi Smith, Vintage Park, announced that the Kansas Foundation for Medical Care will be providing a 6 week diabetic seminar for those interested in attending. It is free to the public and an “orientation” will be held on December 8th at 1p.m. The program will continue through the holidays with the exception of Christmas week. Please contact Jodi on 528-5095 if you have any questions.
- Kenna Burns, ECKAN, announced that ECAT, RCIL, ECKAN, and Help House are combining their efforts to better assist the community. They are looking for people that might need assistance with raking leaves, home winterizations, etc. They also are asking for volunteers to help with this effort. If you know of someone who could use some assistance or would like to volunteer your time, you may contact any of the participating organizations.
- Nancy Durbin, Osage County Economic Development (OCED), stated that they have received a Federal grant for home rehabilitation. OCED is located at the Osage County Senior Center in Osage City. Documents must be provided and while there is no age restriction, there is a yearly income limitation of $53,000.00 dollars. Homeowners interested in this program should contact Nancy.
- Dave Azwell announced that Nick Stoppel will be performing in Osage City on January 16th, 2016 with the time and location to be determined.
CINDY WYMORE, Secretary
NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, December 15, 2015